Marathon: Istoria is an RPG scenario set in the Marathon universe and designed for the Aleph One engine. It pushes the engine to its limits by using advanced character progression, combat, and storytelling.
Customize your character by choosing your class and deciding which weapons you want to specialize in. Utilize the conventional weapons you are familiar with along with a brand new arsenal of spells and abilities. Explore Istoria while discovering its secrets and how you fit in the world through a combination of terminals and communicating with the recently deceased.
People that have played other Bungie games may recognize some influences from Pathways Into Darkness and Myth. A few sounds, the weapon leveling, level transitions with saved state, and ability to talk to the dead are ideas largely taken from PiD. People familiar with Myth may recognize a couple of the spells you get in the game.
Marathon: Istoria's main features:
- RPG mechanics including the ability to increase your overall character level as well as individual weapon levels.
- 7 character classes to choose from, to give each playthrough a different experience.
- Full roster of weapons along with 9 new spells, one active class ability, and one passive class ability.
- 10 full size levels that can be re-visited multiple times with their state preserved.
- Experience the story through traditional terminals as well as interactive chats with the dead.
- Loot from the dead.
- Dynamic music system using customized level playlists as well as event based music changes.
- New monster combat mechanics including advanced movement for flying monsters and improved shot targeting for certain monsters.
- On demand healing, eliminating tedious trips back to recharge stations.
- Specialize in certain weapons to increase their damage. Decide for yourself how to allocate your ammo supply.
- Time advances logically as you move through levels using 4 different landscapes representing the same area. A level that was previously day maybe be night next time you visit if an appropriate amount of time has passed.
- An ending screen showing various stats and a score indicating how well you played.
- An all new solo survival mode where you can utilize spells in order to stay alive as long as possible.